Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Fabula Nova Crystallis > Final Fantasy XIII > FFXIII Spoiler Discussion & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Mar 07 2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Jirou
Moogle

Gil: 0 [Donate]
Default Optimal group setup?

Hey all,

First of all much <3 to fellow players!

Now on topic, at the moment I'm trying to pick the best group setup to go for, mind you I am not far yet I'm just in chapter 9, but knowing the FF series I know this is coming.

The group I planned to go for was gonna be like this:

Lightning
Vanille
Hope

All 3 of them can assume the Medic role which is helpful, at the same time you have a Saboteur (Vanille) and a Synergist (Hope).

Technically Vanille can deal more damage than Sazh (from what I've seen so far) as a ravager, and there is no need for another commander in the group so that means Fang () and Snow are out.

Being able to switch between these paradigms as well:

Commander, Ravager, Medic
Medic, Saboteur, Synergist
Ravager, Ravager, Ravager
Commander, Ravager, Ravager

Will make life much better and easier to handle, what do you guys think? Of course character preference plays a huge part in selecting the characters but I dont want that to be taken into the equation.

<3
Jirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07 2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Kasper
Moogle

I was looking at this yesterday as well. i came to the conclusion that Lightning, Hope, Fang is the most diverse roles. 2 Commandos, 2 Blasters, 2 Medics, 1 Sentinel, 1 Saboteur,1 Synergist. This allows high offense = com, com, bla or bla, bla, com.. or starting with buffing and debuffing syn, sab, com? and the best defense of sen, med, med. Just my observation, waiting til monday midnight to play
Kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07 2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Jirou
Moogle

The only Issue is Kasper, 2 commando's do not fill up the Stagger (Break) meter quickly, in order to fill it up you need Ravagers.

Although I thought of this, having 1 commando is all you need. And as a Commando Lightning does more damage (what I've seen so far) and is over-all better than Fang. And Lightning isn't as good as a Ravager as Vanille.

I'm trying to get some input here to determine whats the best setup once you are able to select your battle team.

My conclusion was Lightning, Vanille, and Hope, but I hope more discussion will clarify this more.
Old Mar 07 2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Kasper
Moogle

the group i posted can have lightning and hope as ravagers with fang a commando if that's the case.
Kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07 2010, 10:29 PM   #5
FeLicityFaNtasy
Imaginitive Youth

Gil: 600 [Donate]

Lightning, Hope, and Fang, was my dream team. Fang as leader. With equipment , I boosted Lightning's ATT/MAG evenly, Hope's magic, and Fang's attack. Swapping Hope for Vanille is also popular I think. For the most part though, imo just include Snow and/or Sazh if you really like them. I used the characters that I thought were the coolest (hardest decision ever for me) and just coincidentally chose a dream team =P

and yes I have Platinum... there are many fights and countless situations where I could capitalize with two COM. Game is all about having a rhythm with the flow of battle. Establishing a sense of rotation. So you'll essentially be using every Paradigm imagineable, in many different situations, all depending on a person's play style.

Last edited by FeLicityFaNtasy; Mar 07 2010 at 10:50 PM..
FeLicityFaNtasy is offline   Send a message via AIM to FeLicityFaNtasy Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07 2010, 11:11 PM   #6
Jirou
Moogle

Agreed, you rarely stay in one Paradigm, but generally I always see Fang included in most of the groups, but I just don't see it honestly. It's my own opinion obviously but despite Fang being able to reach a must higher STR base than Lightning, I just find it a major loss that she can't enter a Ravager role. Although I must admit having 2 commanders when a mob takes more dmg from physical is sexy, but generally it's still meh.. I've had a mate who said he just tossed Lightning out and went for Fang, Hope and Vanille, which kinda does make sense.

Capitalizing on the physical damage of 2 com's is great, however, with 3 Ravagers you can easily get the mob staggered, first attack would be COM RAV RAV, switch to RAV RAV RAV, watch the bar fill up, if needed go COM RAV MED .. then RAV RAV RAV if needed again.

It's a little bit of "what will I benefit more from, 2 com's or 2 rav's?"

Obviously the game doesn't get that much harder no matter what the setup, it's just a matter of efficiency to me. But again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I'm just trying to get some ideas so when I get there I have a clear picture of a decent enough setup.
Old Mar 08 2010, 01:03 AM   #7
XxFeaRLeSsxX
Uh...What?

At the moment I'm happy with my team of Sazh, Lightning, and Snow. Lightning and Snow are both pretty heavy hitters, and I usually use Sazh to boost them up at the beginning of the battle. I always finish the enemies off fairly fast this way.

Enhancer/Attacker/Attacker
Blaster/Healer/Attacker
Blaster/Attacker/Defender
Enhancer/Healer/Defender
Blaster/Blaster/Attacker

I usually just switch back and forth between the first one (default) and the second one when my health is getting low. I really don't find Defender that useful, but it's there just in case.

XxFeaRLeSsxX is offline   Send a message via MSN to XxFeaRLeSsxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxFeaRLeSsxX Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08 2010, 01:19 AM   #8
Serffix
Moogle

Gil: 300 [Donate]

As soon as I was free to choose, I had Fang/Lightning/Vanille and never used the others. (Probably because of disliking Snow and Hope and not liking Sazh his weapons)

I loved the jammer job so made good use of Vanille/Fang being jammers.
First thing I did on Pulse though was doing mission 7 to get the haste equip so I didn't need enhancer. Also unlocked blaster on Fang pretty early on, but only to have an easier time with Orphan.
Serffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08 2010, 04:18 AM   #9
Hatsune Miku
Vocaloid

I decided on a party of Light/Snow/Vanille before playing the game, and it worked out pretty well. I know it's not the "best", but it fits my playstyle.

The general consensus seems to be that Light/Fang/Hope is the most balanced party. You get two Commandos, two Ravagers, two Saboteurs, two Medics, one Sentinel, and one Synergist. Hope and Vanille seem to be pretty interchangeable, though.

Hatsune Miku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2010, 05:20 AM   #10
Clayden
Moogle

The reasons why most people chose fang for the command role over lightning is for the fact that lightning may seem like a better command at first but towards the end fang turns out to be better where lightning is better suited as a rav over cmd, due to one skill that both fang and light pick up which are chr specific.

These skills basically make and break the class. And because light lacks a cmd specific skill fang excels over the class more-so than light. Also the light/fang/hope combo is the only combo capable of having at least 1 of each master class in at all times, so generally that leads to more diverse play.

While there is no wrong party set up, if your looking to get the most of a battle and have the most diverse options the party sated above is the best bet.

As for comments on vanille shes a good chr, but her sab class also falls short to fang as she doesnt learn the more advance debuffs such as slow, fog and pain. Her main shine from sab would be her death spell but thats always a gamble. Also vanille doesnt have all high lvl aoe dmg spells as a rav so end game she fails short compared to hope.

Last edited by Clayden; Mar 14 2010 at 05:31 AM..
Clayden is offline   Send a message via AIM to Clayden Send a message via MSN to Clayden Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2010, 07:20 AM   #11
Vantage31
Moogle

My choice would be Lighting, Fang, and Hope.
Lighting - She should be the leader because is the best all-rounder with access to a wide spread of abilities and Techniques.

Fang- She can become a good Sentinel (I know snow is better in this respect because of his higher HP), and has very high STR and can become a very good COM if need be. And she can also become a good Saboteur which gives her a good edge to her during battles.

Hope - He has the highest Magic stat so he is a very powerful Medic, and Ravanger, as well as being a good Synergist which he can focus on Def augmentation early on in the game.

I found so far that this is the best all-round team to put together. They pretty much cover ALL the Paradigm sets that you would want.

The main Paradigm set up that I had for a long while was this:
Relentless Assault -RAV,COM,RAV
Diversity - RAV,COM,MED
Delta Attack - COM,SEN,RAV
Solidarity - COM,SEN,MED
Protection - MED,SEN,SYN
Evened Odds - MED,SAB,SYN

I REALLY really liked this deck a lot and it worked for me well... though it took me a while to figure out what I liked, I did switch a couple of out and put in Mystic Tower which uses RAV,SEN, and a RAV. and then I noticed some of the monsters wailed on me too fast to be healed by just one medic so I made Combat Clinic which is MED,SEN,MED.

Hope this helped someone xD
Vantage31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2010, 05:14 PM   #12
XLelouxhX
Cactuar

What i really love about this game that there is no right or wrong how u choose the characters, every1 can make his own setup

I started with Light/Snow/Vanille
Sentinel can helps alot when ur in a pinch
and now am trying Light/Fang/Vanille
but am thinking of making this team Fang/Vanille/Hope
Old Mar 14 2010, 07:26 PM   #13
Nyteshroud
Moogle

Default who should train up what role??

okay been playing for a few hrs now, but don't know who should train up what first? Once i can set my team up i plan to go Lightning/Vanile/hope just now sure which role should i train them up in. I have the paradigms pretty setup i think. But think im screw myself as far as their training. Anyone have any suggestion??
Nyteshroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2010, 07:42 PM   #14
Mr. Biggles
Bit Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyteshroud View Post
okay been playing for a few hrs now, but don't know who should train up what first? Once i can set my team up i plan to go Lightning/Vanile/hope just now sure which role should i train them up in. I have the paradigms pretty setup i think. But think im screw myself as far as their training. Anyone have any suggestion??
I can't help you with Vanille because I use Fang instead.

Lightning- train up Commando and Medic mainly, then train up Ravager later on when your happy. Ravager is good for RAV/RAV/RAV as it staggers enemies pretty fast. Medic is important as you'll probably be using Hope as a SYN later on and may need to use MED/SYN/MED on occasion.

Hope- Personally I trained up RAV and MED first. Splitted the CP. But I grossly underestimated Hope as a SYN, so I think you should divide his CP 30% RAV, 40% SYN, 40% MED. I also have Hope optimised defensively equipment wise.

Bear in mind I'm not the best at the game, but theres my advice.
Old Mar 14 2010, 07:46 PM   #15
Nyteshroud
Moogle

anyone have any suggestions?
Old Mar 14 2010, 07:48 PM   #16
Nyteshroud
Moogle

any other suggestion would be great or post ur teams layout and training
Old Mar 14 2010, 08:40 PM   #17
KIRBYSIM
Moogle

Can't help you with your early game CP allocation/roles question. It really depends on what abilities are available to you at that point in the game, and changes every time you level up your Crystallium.

My advice: go through every single Crystogen tree, and note what abilities you can get at this point in the game. Then work towards getting the most useful ones that you need.

Anyway, my end-game party is Lightning/Fang/Vanille.
Ligh/Fan/Van
SYN/SYN/MED
SAB/SAB/MED
RAV/SEN/COM
MED/SEN/MED
RAV/COM/RAV
RAV/COM/COM

Lightning
is equipped with ATB charge weapon (+20% of 1 slot per hit) and Lucky Breaker chain ability. The main strategy is to break the enemy and then spam Scenic Drive/Army of One (11 hits) to quickly get the enemy to 999% double-quick-time.

When the enemy is in Break/Stagger, using this strategy Lightning adds 11x(12%+3%) = 165% to the chain percentage per turn. But because of ATB charge, if all 11 hits of Scenic Drive connects, you practically recover 2.2 ATB (out of 5) slots, meaning Lightning's turn comes about twice as fast. So 330% per turn (provided no chain resistance).

An entire party of RAV/RAV/RAV with 6 slots each could only give you 3x[6x(10%+3%)]=234% chain percentage per turn. And of course, if you're using 3 RAVs you are wasting precious turns not using COMs to deal damage with when the enemy is broken/staggered.

On enemies that are incredibly tough to break, I spam Scenic Drive on them. Since there's 11 hits, there's a higher chance of lucky breaking. And, again, 11 hits = 2.2 ATB slots recovered = Lightning takes her turn twice as often.

As SYN Lightning has Haste and Elemental Enhancement, 2 very important spells that you need to manually cast because 1) the AI is too stupid to realise that Haste should be cast before anything else, and 2) the AI does not use elemental enhancement unless the Libra report tells them to; so you won't be able to capitalise on Weak status ailment (1.3x damage).

As SAB, Lightning fills in the holes for Fang, who has most SAB spells except for one or two I think.

Fang
equipped with +912 physical and magic attack weapon (ultimate weapon, tje one that cannot break), and that accessory that raises damage cap from 99,999 to 999,999.

The party's physical damage dealer. So Fang is in COM most of the time but acts as SEN if necessary. As a SAB Fang has just about all the spells, too.

As a SYN, Fang helps to cast and protect the one important spell that Lightning doesn't have - Bear (protect against status ailments).

Vanille
equipped with high magic attack weapon. Ideally this would have been the ultimate weapon and 999,999 accessory but I don't want to waste my spare Trapehezodron.

She is the party's main healer (really only Hope and Vanille are fit, because they have the life-saving Cera and Cureda), but is also the party's magic damage dealer.

Vanille only assumes RAV if I need to break an enemy faster, or if I need her to use a specific spell.

I change SYN/SYN/MED to SYN/SYN/SYN so that Vanille can cast Elemental Barrier if the enemy dishes out very strong elemental damage.

Last edited by KIRBYSIM; Mar 14 2010 at 08:51 PM..
KIRBYSIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 04:49 PM   #18
persson87
Moogle

Default my setup

I'm playing with Light/Snow/Vanille

And my main paradigm is

Light - Rav
Snow - Com
Vanille - Med

This fits my playstyle pretty much, alot of offence and when it gets crazy I switch to Med/defend/med.

I can also switch to Rav/Com/Rav or if there is one staggered enemy Com/Com/Rav

I know i lack the ability to boost up my team but Vanille can learn some sabuteur moves which is kinda nice to have.

The reason that i'm choosing Snow instead of Fang is his advantage in hp and i think he is a big hitter aswell.

I don't like Hope, thats why I don't include him. He has low hp and don't know as much medic abilities as vanille right now.

Hope this helps someone
persson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15 2010, 04:25 AM   #19
Sparks1013
Cactuar

I've been using Fang/Light/Vanille since I was able to set up my own team. I'm at Orphan, just haven't decided to beat the game yet; a lot of people say it kills the replay value for them.

I don't like Hope, hes whiney and has no health.
Sazh is okay but I can't stand to look at him during battles, could he walk any weirder?
Snow is great at what he does, however, having the 3 main roles Com/Rav/Sen.. he doesn't really bring anything to the table.

However after you beat the game you can do whatever you want.
Sparks1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15 2010, 05:07 AM   #20
Realee
Cactuar

Thumbs up

I stayed with the traditional Fang/Lightning/Hope.

It's great going between Relentless Assult and Aggression when enemies are staggered. And it gives you all the frills (Sen, Syn, Sab) with 2 Medics if you need, although I really only use Hope as a Medic, Lightning for emergencies only.

Through the game I used Sazh for his Syn but as soon as Hope got Haste (And I got the Auto-Haste items) Sazh got the boot.

Hasn't been anything i've NEEDED to switch for, but I use Vanille's death trick for 80,000 CP Turtles
Realee is offline   Reply With Quote